3 September 2014

eBook Review: It Girl by Nic Tatano

"Veronica Summer is stuck in the dream job from hell.

The spunky New York reporter is offered the network's morning anchor position, but she doesn't want it because she's a night person. Then the network plays a trump card, promising her the evening anchor chair in three years. So the fiery redhead takes the plunge, with the ultimate gig waiting down the road.

Problem is, that road is filled with two am wake-up calls and the only social life she has is one with bats and raccoons. She quickly realizes she'll never survive the grind and decides the only way out is to get fired by being her snarky self on live television.

And the ratings skyrocket.

Veronica becomes the nation's It Girl, so the network makes her a celebrity contestant on its most popular nighttime dance competition show, Dance Off. While her journalistic credibility is shot to hell by the show's skimpy costumes, she's thrown into close contact with two incredibly attractive men; her dance partner and the show's sarcastic British judge.

And she soon discovers that love is the ultimate gig."

Rating: 5/5

You can buy It Girl as an eBook now.

I have quickly become one of Nic Tatano's biggest fans since the release of his first book Wing Girl last summer. His eBooks have become something I really look forward to, and each one that he has released so far have been utterly brilliant! The minute his latest book It Girl became available to download on NetGalley, I was there and downloading it, eager to read. Once I began it, I knew it was going to be another super read, and I wasn't wrong - in fact, I might even go so far as to say it's my favourite of Nic's books so far, and that's no mean feat, believe me!

Veronica Summer absolutely loves her job of being a hard-hitting TV journalist, but when the job of being breakfast TV anchor comes along, she knows she can't turn it down. As she settles into the hideous routine of being up in the middle of the night , Veronica is thrown a curve ball by her bosses - she has to take part in the network's celebrity reality dance show 'Dance Off'. Veronica hates all reality shows, and her clashing with the show's British judge Dexter doesn't make for a good combination, and Veronica is sure if she's bad enough, she can get herself voted off the show. However, she doesn't count on a sizzling chemistry with her dance partner, and a competitive streak that won't let her give in. Will Veronica be able to keep her credibility, and dance her way to the glittery trophy?!

What I love about Nic's novels is that they all feature a strong woman in the lead role, and It Girl is definitely no different - in fact, I would probably say that Veronica is my favourite leading lady to date! I liked Veronica from the off, she was feisty, not afraid to put her career before her relationship because she's so determined to get what she wants and climb the career ladder. The book really got going for me when Veronica got the job of breakfast TV anchor alongside her old friend Scott, and she struggled to put up with the crazy schedule. It actually sounded like my worst nightmare, waking up at 2 and living like a nocturnal animal, and Veronica is brutally honest with how awful she finds it! It certainly led to lots of funny moments, and I did feel sorry for Veronica!

The dance show part of the novel was also really enjoyable, especially now the Strictly Come Dancing is upon us all (and the countdown to Christmas starts, yippeeee!). The show has a stuffy British judge, Dexter, that Veronica immediately butts heads with, and you can tell straight away there's a chemistry there, despite the denying by both of them! Some of the things he did were so heart-warming, he was definitely a genuine nice guy, and I loved the inclusion of him into the story, especially someone who is just a quick-witted and feisty as Veronica. I also loved Veronica's friendships in the book with her best friend Layla and Savannah. They are there for each through thick and thin, and I liked how Veronica became herself around the girls, they were both funny too and good characters for the book.

Once I had started this book, I genuinely didn't want to put it down. It's brilliantly written, so funny, fast-paced and witty that you are immediately drawn into the story and on this journey with Veronica, and even though I knew she hated being on the show, I couldn't wait to see what would happen on the dance show! The book doesn't get too bogged down in dance details and technical info, instead it more focuses on the backstage drama, and that worked perfectly for me. With a fantastic lead character in Veronica, sexy dance routines, and that sizzling chemistry between Veronica and Dexter, this book has loads to keep you reading, and I didn't want it to end! Loved it.

1 comment:

  1. Great review, I love Veronica too! Reading Twitter Girl now, not very far in yet but loving it thus far! It Girl was the first I'd read of Nic Tatano's, but I definitely want to read Wing Girl and Boss Girl now! xx

    ReplyDelete