8 May 2016

Book Review: What Happens in the Alps by T.A. Williams

"UP IN THE MAGICAL, SNOW-KISSED MOUNTAINS…

Two years ago, Annie Brewer’s life was turned upside down when her adrenaline-junkie husband died in a tragic climbing accident. So she’s hoping that moving to the beautiful village of Santorso in the Italian Alps will finally put her life back on track!

…ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN!

She might be going into business with her oldest friend – notorious lady-charmer Matt Brown – but men are definitely out of the question for Annie! That is, until she bumps into tall, dark and delicious Alessandro Lago on the ski slopes…and spontaneously says ‘Yes’ to a date!

It must be the crisp, mountain air but suddenly, anything seems possible. The only trouble is, chivalrous Matt is looking more gorgeous than ever…

Rating: 5/5

You can buy the book now.

T.A. Williams has become an author that I love thanks to his recent few books, and so when I was offered the opportunity to review his new book What Happens in the Alps, I thought it sounded like a great idea and so eagerly downloaded it to my kindle! I love the cover for this book, it's certainly very evocative of the alps and skiing, and I couldn't wait to dive in. I absolutely loved the story and really couldn't put the book down and for me, it was my favourite of Williams' books to date!

Annie's life has been turned upside-down in the past few years, with the death of her beloved husband, and deciding to start her own English language school at her new home in Italy. Things are finally looking positive, and even more so when her husband's best friend Matt moves closer to her, and the pair strike up a friendship, reminiscing over times gone by and him helping her setting up her new school. But when Annie meets millionaire Alessandro on the slopes, she's quite taken by him and the pair start to get to know each other more. Will Annie take a chance on love again, and finally move on?

I haven't read many books set in the Alps before, so I was really looking forward to reading it and finding out about more about life here. This book is set in a small Italian village called Santorso, near a skiing resort, which is lucky since Annie is quite a talented skier and loves to escape by getting on the slopes. First of all, I have to say how much I loved the setting of this book, it really came to life in my mind as I was reading thanks to Williams' vivid descriptions, and it sounded so perfect and picturesque. Everything from the Alps, to the snow covered village, and even the posh hotels mentioned within are so wonderfully written, I wished I was there!

The characters in the book are brilliant too. Annie was the leading lady and I really liked her - in fact, there was nothing to dislike about her at all. She was kind, funny, and getting over a very badly broken-heart after her husband's death, and I liked how she just got up and got on with her life, against the odds really. Her friendship with Matt was fun to read too, although I was convinced that there was a spark between the two, they just seemed to click, but I loved how both wanted to honour her husband's memory and not act on anything impulsively. The appearance of Alessandro added some handsome glamour to the book, he sounded like a bit of a dreamboat, if a bit of a workaholic too, but you can see why Annie was quite taken by him!

The story progressed at a great pace for me, and I found it really easy to read. Each time I picked up my kindle, I was sent back to the Alps and Annie's world once more, and it was somewhere I loved to be. You could really feel Annie growing as a character as you moved through the book, and I was really hoping she would end up with her happy ending that she really deserved. T.A. Williams' writing was perfect in this book, balancing the narrative and speech in the book really well, and allowing the reader to really get taken into Annie's story. This was definitely my favourite of his books so far, it just flowed so well and you can tell he has really perfected his craft now, this book really was a joy to read, I loved it! I would definitely recommend it as one to read over these warm spring/summer evenings, certainly a story to lose yourself in!

No comments:

Post a Comment