22 October 2016

Book Review: We Were On A Break by Lindsey Kelk

"Is it a break? Or is it a blip? 'You've just had a holiday,' I pointed out, trying not to yawn. 'Wasn't that enough of a break?' 'I don't mean that kind of break.' 

There's nothing worse than the last day of holiday. Oh wait, there is. When what should have been a proposal turns into a break, Liv and Adam find themselves on opposite sides of the life they had mapped out. Friends and family all think they're crazy; Liv throws herself into work - animals are so much simpler than humans - and Adam tries to get himself out of the hole he's dug. 

But as the short break becomes a chasm, can they find a way back to each other? 

Most importantly, do they want to?"

Rating: 5/5

You can buy We Were On A Break now!

I was very excited to be sent a review copy of Lindsey Kelk's brand new book We Were On A Break and finally got around to reading it last week. I have to be honest and say this is probably my favourite book ever by Lindsey, and I don't say that lightly given how much I adored her 'I Heart...' series! I was just totally absorbed by this book, its characters and genuinely didn't want to put it down.

Liv and Adam thought they were the perfect couple, so when Liv was told (on good authority) that Adam was going to propose while they were on holiday in Mexico, Liv got her hopes up and awaited that inevitable question. However, when it doesn't come, it causes the pair to start questioning everything about their relationship, and whether or not they really do belong together after all...

Of course, when I read the title of this book, my favourite TV show of all time, Friends, sprang to mind. Who doesn't remember the 'will they, won't they' of Ross and Rachel, and I wondered what elements of that would spring up in this book. In the end, I thought the pair were quite similar to this storyline on TV, but I really did want these two to bang their heads together and work it out, they were both just being silly and stubborn in my eyes!

Liv is a vet in her small village, and Adam has thrown the towel in at University and has decided to work as a carpenter, something he had always wanted to do but Liv gave him the guts to actually pursue. Both of them are really nice people, with supportive families that I enjoyed reading about - having said that, I thought Adam's brother was absolutely awful and I think I'd probably disown him if I were related to him! Liv, however, was my favourite. She seemed genuinely heart-broken when the proposal didn't materialise and I just wanted Adam to man up, make them both happy and ask her to marry him. I enjoyed the unfolding of this part of the book, which happens at the beginning and really sets the tone well for the rest of the book.

One thing I really enjoyed a lot about this book is that it was told from both character's perspectives. Lindsey Kelk alternates her narrator chapter by chapter, and I found it interesting to see how both Liv and Adam viewed things, and how easily crossed wires happened between the pair. I wanted to kill Adam for some of his choices, I wanted Liv to stop moping around and get on with it, but reading both of their stories certainly allowed me to feel more involved in the story, if a little more frustrated as I knew their true feelings and they just couldn't seem to bring themselves to say it! The writing is of course typical Lindsey Kelk - funny, witty, emotional and just brilliant to read. The narrative flows so well from both characters, and chapters zoomed by in a flash because I couldn't stop reading.

As I said earlier on, this is probably my favourite book of all time by Lindsey Kelk which is certainly no mean feat! I just thoroughly enjoyed the feel of the whole thing, from its setting to the characters, both main and secondary and the twists and turns that the book took along the way to its conclusion. I really didn't want it to end, although there was a part of me who wanted it to get there to see if the pair would decide whether or not they wanted to be together! It was a fantastic, enjoyable and funny read, I can't wait for Lindsey's next book!

No comments:

Post a Comment